Monday, September 5, 2011

weekend in pictures.

Well hello there. It's been a while! The last couple of weeks have been a little different...with school starting in the Houston area, the number of kids at the center has dropped dramatically, so I've had some much needed time off. Last week I started in-home therapy though, so that kept things interesting. I enjoyed the in-home sessions, but a couple of the kids live really far out, so I'm going to become great friends with my car. And I might have to start keeping a log of how many hours of my life I sit at Houston red lights...because based on last week that number is going to sky-rocket.

Hubs and I have had a fantastic long weekend. We were hoping tropical storm Lee was going to bring some desperately-needed rain to our fair city, but we got a couple sprinkles at most. She DID bring a wonderful breeze, though, and drop the temperatures about 10 or 15 degrees, so I'm not complaining too much.

Saturday marked the start of the college football season, and I must admit it was weird being so far from all the action! I had to work through the morning and early afternoon, but I got home just in time to join Ben and friends at a sports bar to watch the Vols! We found the Houston chapter of the UT (the real UT that is) alumni association and met up with everybody at Bubba's, the official Houston bar of the Tennessee Vols for 2011. It was so bizarre but so cool seeing the place filled with orange!

I took this on my phone so it's a little blurry, but you can still see the orange representation! We only stayed until halftime since the game got started an hour and a half late, but we're excited to have found a little piece of home 900 miles away from Neyland.  :)

With Benjamin, the official DJ of the evening...his job was the turn on Rocky Top over the speakers every time we scored, which thankfully was quite a bit!

I love this guy's shirt..."There's nothing burnt about this ORANGE." Burnt orange referring to the other UT that people like to talk about down here. I'm getting tired of having to specify the University of Tennessee every time I say UT...it's a mouthful.

Sunday was a little gloomy...just cloudy though, no rain. We hit up Walmart and Lowe's and spent some time to hanging a shelf in the guest room. Got to get it ready for our guests this weekend! We're also hosting Bible study this week so I finally have motivation to finish things up around here.

Today was just gorgeous. Well, the high was like 90, but for us, that is awesome. Ben and I went for a run along the Buffalo Bayou, a park that stretches all across the city for a whole bunch of miles. We did not run a whole bunch of miles, just a couple, but I was just in love with the breeze and cooler air. We came back to our apartment, made lunch, and took it down to the park by our apartment to enjoy the weather a little more!




This would be the extent of Lee's damage...nothing too exciting.

Ben finished up a meal I made last weekend that we've been enjoying all week:


It all started with this recipe I found for whole wheat flat bread and tzatziki sauce. It was SO good. Joy the Baker's food blog has become my new best friend...she's a rock star. This cucumber yogurt sauce was so fresh and healthy and fragrant, I know I will be making it again. Anyway, I decided to marinate and grill up some Greek-inspired chicken (I used the recipe from here), roast a couple diced potatoes, and put it all together to have homemade gyros! They were just delightful! Almost as good and definitely healthier than the authentic version I enjoyed daily while studying abroad in Athens.

Ahh, good memories.  :)

The purple flower place! (we so creatively named it) The little window under those beautiful flowers served up the best gyros we had while in Greece. It was one of the select few that included french fries inside the wrap...SO good. I couldn't tell you where in Athens this place is located, but I can guarantee you that if I ever get to go back, I will wander around until I find this place, and hope those flowers are still there!

Well that about sums up life of late! We've got a busy week ahead, but are so excited to spend time with friends and family! I'll try to be better about updating more frequently...hope everyone's had a lovely Labor Day! Fall is coming, I can feel it...

No comments:

Post a Comment