Tuesday, July 12, 2011

the job.

Well, apparently the interview went well this morning, because I just received an email offering me the job!! I am beyond excited and so relieved. It's kind of a complicated thing to explain, but I'll do my best.

I will be working as an ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) therapist at an autism learning center here in Houston. At the same time, however, I will take a series of three online classes (lasting three months each) through Florida Institute of Technology in order to sit for an exam in April or May to become a BCaBA (Board Certified assistant Behavior Analyst). In order to complete the certification, I am required to do a certain number of supervised hours with a certified clinician. Those will be done at the learning center, but because I will be working 30 hours a week, they're going to pay me!

I have always been fascinated by autism and drawn to kids on the spectrum, so I am just thrilled for this opportunity. I am hoping to attend grad school starting next year to become a Speech-Language Pathologist, many of which work with autistic children, and I think this certification will help me to better administer those therapies, while broadening my overall knowledge of autistic interventions at the same time. The center even offers speech services, so I might get to interact with a few SLPs and observe them while I'm there! It is just a great set-up. See why I was afraid it was all too good to be true?

I keep thinking back to Cedar Springs' Global Mission Conference last spring when Tim Keller came and spoke about how to share Christ with the world. His first way was through our daily work. I remember he talked about having to be very like and very unlike the people we worked with at our jobs. We have to be like them by being very good at what we do, and we have to be unlike them by being marked by noticeable characteristics like integrity, generosity, charity, Gospel creativity, and the way in which we handle adversity. I really feel called to this position working with autistic young people, and I am so excited to discover what God has lined up for me to learn through the kids and staff. I can say it is going to be a definite challenge, but I am confident that the Lord has and will continue to equip me to do this job well. My prayer is that I can not only do it well, though, but that my work will reflect Christ each and every day.

I start observing Thursday! Thank you to everyone who was praying for me (and Ben) throughout this job search process. They were (and still are) much appreciated!

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." -Colossians 3:23-24


No comments:

Post a Comment