Sunday, July 10, 2011

weekend.

Hi all!

So I really like Houston weekends...there's still so much newness to everything, and I get really excited about anything we do, even if it's just running to TJ Maxx or driving a really long way out to pick up my snazzy new Texas license plates (both activities we did yesterday). It's even more exciting when we stumble upon little outings that require zero dollars...but let's face it, we are really good at spending money. Good thing I might have a job (ish) after this week to help out in that department!

Friday Ben got to go on a field trip with work to an oil rig in Galveston. Then he showed up back home at like 2:30...and was done for the day. Seriously Exxon? We spent the afternoon getting hooked on a new show we found on our free OnDemand: White Collar. It's like TV on DVD but cheaper and better. We actually stopped by Target last night to purchase Season 1, because when I get hooked on a show, I really get hooked on a show. And this one's all witty and sly and FBI agent-y, so I like it even more.

Anyway, once Benjamin had recovered from his oh so long and laborious day at work (ahem), we picked up our new friends Brian and Ariel (yes, we have friends!!) and went out for sushi at a fun and awesomely inexpensive restaurant called Sushi Choo Choo. There's a conveyor belt that runs throughout all the tables carrying appetizers and plates of sushi. When something comes by that looks yummy, you just take it off the belt and start eating! The plates are color-coded based on price, but we didn't pay too much attention to that because it was all so cheap! And yummy too!

 Mmm...hello sushi!

 There goes the sushi choo choo! So fun!

 Ariel and me...

Ben with working buddy Brian.

Our stack of plates! We were stuffed...though not enough to skip out on the gelato place in the same shopping center, also delicious!

Brian is Ben's mentor at work, and we are both so incredibly thankful for his and Ariel's kindness since we arrived. They've been in Houston over a year now and have learned soo much about the city in that short time. I am so glad God put such a sweet couple in our lives that we can relate to so well. They took us to our newlywed small group last week, and we joined them for Sunday school, church, and VBS set-up earlier today. They have definitely helped make this transition easier, and Ben and I are so grateful!

Yesterday morning we slept really late and spent the first half of the day de-cluttering the guest room. I've been avoiding the room altogether because walking in it just stressed me out, but Friday I finally buckled down and painted the dresser so we could start putting things in place and finding everything a home. Now it's only a couple more Hobby Lobby trips from being done! 

After the aforementioned TJ Maxx visit (which was overwhelmingly full of people) and 30-minute drive to the car dealership, we came home, ate some leftovers, and headed out to see Horrible Bosses at the movie theater.


I thoroughly enjoyed my Bunch-a-Crunch, the movie, and the gigantic theater that I think was bigger than the Pinnacle but surprisingly still not as crowded. Next weekend we will be returning to the same theater to see HP7 with Ariel and Brian. I. Can't. Wait. No midnight showing, though. Hubby's gotta get up early.

Oh yes, we also finally received our wedding pictures yesterday! Actually we could have had them about 2 weeks ago if we had only checked the package room at the apartment office a little earlier. Oh well, they were so fun to look at and I'm hoping to somehow acquire the attention span to put a good lot of them up on Facebook sometime this week. I have an interview of sorts on Tuesday morning that could lead to my dream job, but that's all I'm saying until after it's over, on account of the fact that it still might be too good to be true and I don't want to get everybody (including myself) all excited over nothing. So. I will check back in when there's news on that front! Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're loving Houston! We're glad you are! Get those pictures up. I want to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Collar is one of my favorite shows! It runs about 10 or 12 weeks in Jan-Feb too. Also check out Covert Affairs, either right before it or after it on the same network.

    ReplyDelete